A contributing factor in bone resorption is local inflammation from plaque accumulation.
1. The direct action of plaque products on bone progenitor cells induces their differentiation to osteoclasts.
2. Plaque products also acts directly on bone, destroying it through a non cellular mechanism.
3. Plaque products stimulategingival cells, causing them to release mediators which in turn induce bone progenitor cells to differentiate into osteoclasts.
4. Plaque products cause gingival cells to release agents that can act as cofactors in bone resorption.
5. Plaque products cause gingival cells to release agents that destroy bone by direct chemical action, without osteoclasts.